Jun 5, 2007

what's your cause?


Freedigitalphotos.net


Judgments....I would be a liar if I said I didn't judge people or create assumptions about them. As human beings it is easier to categorize things / people / feelings / individuals.

I always thought that the judgments i made was a conscious one....it was quite obvious how my judgments were quite automatic.

The other day i was chatting with an acquaintance I had just met. The only thing i know about 'who' he is...is that he's a friend of a friend, the most important part of a person 'what' he is.....i'm just begining to find out......I thought i knew what he was all about - my judgments of him....

My self-righteous self thought she knew what there is to know about him...i didn't like him to begin with in all honesty...i've seen him around numerous times before he actually approached me and said hello....i did my hi's and bye's with him, had an insignificant conversation as to not appear rude. I thought he was self absorbed, thinking he thought he was the 'sizznit', and all about looking good and didn't bother to go to university cause he was just lazy.

This was a long time ago..then only recently I started chatting with him..with all my judgements about him i thought okay...maybe this guy isn't what i think he is...he may be 'nice'....so one day we were chatting about work and he said how work is really consuming and how he works his ass off. He was thinking about doing something else....so i asked him a simple yet deep question.....'what are you passionate about'...he replied the environment.

This simple answer, in a second changed my whole perspective on him. The first thought in my mind,

wow
my judgments of him are totally wrong
i initially judged him cause i didn't like him in the beginning
i instantly had this new found respect for him...though i didn't really know him
i honestly didn't see this side of him

This guy had a cause which he was passionate about. And i felt that defined his integrity / his purpose as a human being.

*Thinking*

Some people that I meet have a cause, have a passion. Some people its the love of having a business that they love, some love people....people are their cause so they have a passion for trainings...some mothers i know....they are just simply passionate about raising their families.

*thinking*

in a way it does reflect a side of me which really isn't all that pretty. How i only respect people only if they're hard working and have a cause...have a definite bigger picture...purpose in life. And if my initial judgments of people are negative......it is up to the OTHER PERSON to prove to me otherwise.

I'm happy i have gotten to know this 'acquaintance'...oddly enough after many chatting sessions with him......little did i realize he's one of the few that truly understands what i'm going through in life....which is a comforting thought.

Then he told me...."you know there are more of us out there"

:)


4 comments:

Mo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mo said...

I think everyone has something they're passionate about. It's just a matter of finding out what it is, and pursuing it.

lotsa love

mel*r said...

agree....

what if they know what it is ...and don't pursue it?

Mo said...

well then there really is no point in being...

Related Posts with Thumbnails